1. Use the tip of a paring knife to score several vertical, evenly spaced, shallow cuts around the circumference of the orange.
2. Use a bamboo skewer to pierce a neat line of vertical holes between each of the vertical lines you scored with the paring knife.
3. Mix the ground cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl. Roll the freshly scored orange in the powdered spices and use your hands to rub the spices into the scored marks.
4. Next, insert a whole clove, stem end first, into each of the holes.
5. Place the completed orange on a wire rack in toaster oven or conventional oven. Leave door slightly ajar and turn oven on warm setting. When the pomander is dry, remove them from oven and turn off heat.
6. Sprinkle the surface of the dried pomander with the essential oils.
7. Refresh with additional oils whenever needed.