Thai Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce
Versatile, hearty and malleable, the lettuce wrap is literally the greatest thing since sliced bread. And there's a wealth of lettuce varieties to choose from as your wrap material: iceberg, bibb, Swiss chard, collard greens, cabbage and endive, to name just a few. We suggest using a buttery bibb lettuce with this recipe.
1 pound extra-firm tofu, diced
4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 can water chestnuts (8 ounces)
1 parsnip, peeled and diced
4 sweet peppers, diced
4 to 6 tablespoons Thai Seasoning Blend
2 cups bean sprouts
1 cucumber, peeled into thin strips
1 large carrot, shredded
10 large bibb lettuce leaves, separated and patted dry
1/4 cup Fresh Thai basil
3 tablespoons natural peanut butter, at room temperature
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 to 1 fresh chile, minced (seeds removed for milder heat)
2 tablespoons cider or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
1/4 cup fresh or prepared salsa
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
Directions for the filling:
1. In a medium saute pan or small wok, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil on medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, peppers, parsnips and water chestnuts. Stir-fry until vegetables soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove veggies from pan or wok and place in a medium-sized glass or metal bowl.
4. Using the same pan, heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil and soy sauce on medium high, adding 2 to 3 tablespoons Thai seasoning and then diced tofu.
5. Fry tofu on one side for 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn tofu over, add remaining seasoning and fry for another 4 to 6 minutes.
6. Add tofu to the veggie mixture.
7. Stuff lettuce leaves with tofu/veggie mixture and garnish with sprouts, cucumber, carrot and basil.
Directions for the sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients other than the cilantro in a food processor and process until smooth.
2. Pulse in cilantro.
3. Add water to thin, if desired.
4. Drizzle sauce over lettuce wraps or serve as a dipping sauce.
Inspired by the cuisine of Thailand, our authentic blend adds a tart, robust flavor to any dish. Try it on seafood, soups, and rice and noodle dishes to explore the flavors of this exotic destination.
Complete product information, including description, product ingredients and price.