Will the Holidays Stress You Out? You can answer that question a number of ways. If you’re like many people, you’ll think about the drain on your finances, the obligations, the crowds, and the travel and groan, “YES, the holidays will stress me out!” Why not answer instead with an emphatic, “NO, I will not let the holidays get to me this year!”?
We’re all going to encounter situations during the holiday season that can trigger stress. A positive attitude from the get-go and a few potent essential oil-based aromatherapy applications might give you the edge you need to turn a demanding season into an enjoyable holiday vacation.
Arm yourself with some tools to repel stress when you’re out in the holiday fray — whether caught in traffic, stuck at the airport, or being crushed in a sea of shoppers. Essential oils can give you an instant olfactory check and help you focus on something aromatically pleasant rather than the rising emotional storm within.
• Clear the air during stressful events with a mist of 8 drops each of lavender, eucalyptus and sweet orange essential oils mixed with 4 ounces of water.
• A single drop of calming chamomile essential oil can get you through trying times. Dispense in the palm of one hand, rub hands together, cup over face and inhale the tension-easing aroma.
• Just before going out into the fray, apply 3 to 4 drops of calming ylang ylang, neroli, rose or lavender essential oils on your scarf. The subtle aroma will help keep you balanced.
Create a stress-dissipating background atmosphere for your holiday home with essential oil diffusion:
• Replicate the emotional boost that comes from a hike through an evergreen forest by sprinkling a basket of pine cones with several drops each of balsam fir needle, pine and cedarwood essential oils. Top it off with 1 or 2 drops of wintergreen to provide an effusive freshness. Place in your living room.
• Create an emotionally comforting atmosphere that envelopes the senses like a warm blanket by sprinkling a bowl of dried orange slices, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks with several drops of sweet orange, clove bud and cassia bark essential oils. Place in the kitchen or the center of your dining table.
• Conjure a sacred space with a flickering candle lamp diffuser. Use elevating frankincense, soul-stirring myrrh and strengthening cedarwood essential oils. Top your blend off with a few drops of uplifting lemon or tangerine.